16 December 2008

Kindness To Strangers Part II

A fellow RAWKite posted about turning in a wallet belonging to a Polish man to the police yesterday and I took some interest in it for just the reason of finding out what the bunch of (good hearted) jokers on the forum's could comments be. Knowing them they won't wish anything will on another but would take the mickey on the situation by putting in hillarious answers.

Those that I do mind reading though are the ones who seriously believe in profiting from another's misfortune and believe me, there are. At times I do feel like giving these people a slap in the head and steal their wallet to see how they would feel, but sometimes you have to wonder if the reason for such a mentality would have anything to do with environmental influence.

It's a commonly agreed idea that poverty is the root of all crimes - games such as the famous Sim City series attribute crime waves in the city to poverty. When one is under financial pressure to survive, people resort to doing things that are illegal by law of the land but legal by the law of the jungle - what good is turning in a wallet if you're hungry?

True, in the extent that one's will to survive will override all when one has to choose.

Yet, pretty often it has rarely gone to that point (if ever). Most people who do commit these petty crimes are often those who are motivated by greed - the desire to have more than they have now without lifting an additional finger.

I have met many people who are less well to do than me - that speaks a lot seeing that I'm nowhere near rich - who are simply the kindest people I know. They range from farmers who toil their farms from 6am in the morning, who are more likely to give you things than to accept them from you.

To me, kindness is something I would like to get from others. Note that I said 'would like to' instead of 'expected to'. This signifies that I accept my fair shair of misfortune, sometimes due to my own carelessness or simply because it's out of my control.

In such a large and impersonal city like this, being kind would often be viewed by suspicion as everybody is expected to just go about their business and be very jealous with all that they have. In the process, nobody would remember you and even if they do, you won't get anything as they're just as selfish.

True, it is hard to disagree.

But then again, I try to be kind to others not to ask for favours or to expect anything in return. What I do hope is for that person to remember the next time somebody else was in his or her shoes, to lend a hand to the other guy who is in need. It's like the concept of 'pay it forward' from the eponymous movie starring Haley Joel Osment.

Even if one out of ten remembers and are moved to do the same, I would've been satisfied - eventhough the number should ideally be all ten. You can't repay kindness with kindness; it's not arithmetics as in 1 = 1. In a cynical world, sometimes one thing out of the ordinary that can even just stir a little part of the heart is sometimes all that differentiates whether the person chooses to tell the person waiting for the train that his car's headlight is left on or just walk by thinking that it's their own fault.

I'm a strong believer in action as the proof of faith - if I were to call myself a Christian, I must try my best to live like one. It's not about getting into God's good books by being good to others, it's about doing what you preach. Think about it in the analogy of a lightbulb - turn it on and not only does it glow with light; the entire room will be lit as well, regardless of how dim it is.

That's the key phrase - 'regardless of how dim it is'.

Am I stupid?

Maybe, but as long as it doesn't endanger my being and is absolutely free - why not. Give the seat to the elderly lady on the train - why not. Let a pregnant woman stand ahead in the queue at the post office - why not. Give the 20 cents in the pocket to a guy who is having problems getting small money out to pay for his stuff - why not.

Most importantly, if I know I can help and I am in the area to help - I will try to. If misfortune claims a life because I didn't lend my hand when I could have helped to prevent it, then I would just be as responsible for ignoring it.

I won't try to be Superman - no. My limits as a human are real. If I tried and it didn't help, then at least I tried. Sometimes failure is out of your hands.

But simple kindnes? Why not.

2 comments:

aprilius20 said...

Sim City, eh? For some reason I never got it to run on my com- kept to the Sims, where I cheated and made myself a millionaire countless times, so no poverty issues there:p

Wilfred Liao said...

The only problem with that approach is that you take challenge out of the game. Making it a sandbox hugely diminishes the reason for playing at all.