30 June 2008

Kindess To Strangers

This morning I took the train like any other workday, pushed between people but it isn't as bad as the later train that I normally take as many people have probably just left their homes or woke up. There was space all the way until Pantai Dalam when it really becomes full but that is not what I am writing today about.

An unusual number of people embarked the train from the Petaling Station which would normally add less than three or so per coach. The shuffle in positions meant that I ended up two places deeper into the coach though for the better as I can now breath easier without the need to actively keep a space between me and the young lady in front of me who seem to have no problems falling into a guy, hence not holding to any of the bars.

Anyway, a middle-aged man came on and eventually stood behind me in which he tapped gently on the my shoulder. I turned to look at him and took off my right earphone which was nearest to him*. He spoke gently asking about where to take the train to Nilai. I answered him a short 'KL Sentral' of which he ahh-ed in understanding, saying that there is where he should take the next train. I nodded and he thanked me.

Now, perhaps that is nothing new to all of you but somehow I felt like I was being impolite to the man for just giving him a short 'KL Sentral' answer without telling him which way would the train be going.

Throughout the rest of the trip, I wrestled with the thought that perhaps I have been pretty aloof and decided to explain to him better once we get off the train. It eventually arrived at KL Sentral of which he asked where are we of which I answered him again, 'KL Sentral'. This time I pointed to him that he should take the train going towards Mid Valley and Seremban, whilst we waited for the stuck door to open (everybody ended up going out using the next door).

As I walked up the stairs, I couldn't but help to look back and search for him. The man stood at Platform 4, probably waiting for the train which would bring him to Rawang instead or for the mob to go up the escalator before taking it. Either way, I stopped at the stairs, beckoned to him to go to the other side of the platform where 5 and 6 were, of which the latter would go to Seremban, hence the direction he was heading to. He seemed to have nodded though the look on his face seems to be somewhat slow in registering.

As I queued to touch my TnG card to exit the platforms, I heard the announcement that of the arrival of the train to Seremban and I wondered if he managed to get on it.

To many of you, perhaps this story is nothing but a boast of my supposed 'kindness' but every time I think about it, perhaps it's the least that I could do to pay my 'debt' to people whom had been kind to me in the past.

Or perhaps the following verse in the New Testament was what that prompted me to care if he got on his way to Nilai or not:


Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it (Hebrews 13:2).

No one knows for sure in this cynical and impersonal world of ours but personally, I would like others to show me the same kind of consideration should be in the same shoes.

It's not about trying to get Brownie points from the Big Man Upstairs, either.

Somehow I just felt like doing it.

No comments: