24 September 2009

My choice

The world would be a very boring place if we have to conform to certain 'standards' for things that are by all means subjective, nein?

I mean, wouldn't it be boring if everybody:
  • wore the same clothes
  • sport the same hairdo
  • look the same
  • talk the same way
  • like the same things
  • believe in the same things 
  • do the same things
I don't drink, that much is true. The most I'd do is rice wine in cooking and no more than Anglia Shandy for leisure drinking for many reasons, one being that I have very low alcohol tolerance and most importantly, I didn't like it. It's not I like I've never tried and tested them - bit of Martell, Heineken, Carlsberg, wine, chocolate liquor - none of which I liked at all. Even if I can 'train' myself to take more alcohol, it still wouldn't help that I simply don't like it.

My friends look at me like I just said something in Arabic when they offer me a drink, asking in the most frank of manner of 'why?' I don't drink, as if something is greatly wrong for refusing. I know how nice it is to drink - you feel all warm and fuzzy, feel good and are light headed - I suppose the question is why would I not like something that is so good like this.

I have no problems with others drinking - imbibe all you want baby - but I do have problems if they end up getting alcohol intoxication or drink to the point of swimming in their own vomit. Is it worth paying so much for glasses and glasses of beer only to have it come out of your mouth at the end? I find it criminal waste when it could be put to better use, for example the month's phone bill. And even if one is filthy rich, that's still no reason to do something just because 'everybody does it'.

I have always find no issues to reject or dislike something that appeals to most people -  it's not like I feel great to be different, just that I feel it's better to be true to myself than to become what people expect of in the sense of things as subjective as personal preferences. Respect what I like/dislike and I'll do the same for you.

In short, I don't have to follow what you do. I don't have to.

The same goes for things such as faith - I have no qualms about people professing a different religion - even discuss it with me, I'm open. Just don't force your dogma on me, then we'll have a great time exchanging ideas. Ridicule what I believe when you can't substantiate your own is when I start to get a bit nasty. In fact I even like to engage atheists in their 'there is no God' evangelism (the irony...) as long as it is academic - not an avenue to rubbish me for being on the opposite side of the spectrum.

The next time I say no to a drink, I did so because I didn't want to.

My own choice.

No comments: