11 September 2011

Best With White

A friend recently ventured a comment that made me stop whatever I was doing for a while and realise that I have been doing things or buying stuff that was particularly of a shade of colour.

His question was harmless enough but somewhat interesting because it haven't occurred to me before:

"Is it just me or do you seem to have a lot of things in orange?".

I stopped packing up the office laptop and looked up then realising that he was right.

At least one article of clothing that I bought, usually collared polos, was orange in colour; including the one I am wearing now, bought around three years ago. I bought a striped orange coloured twirled cotton polo, as well as another the year before.

The car I just bought in May is orange.

The logo of the company I just joined recently has orange as the dominant colour.

One of the product that I was most well versed with at the previous company had orange as the dominant colour of its logo as well.

One of the towels that I use is a shade of dark orange.

My favourite pieces of software - Mozilla Firefox and VLC Player has recognisable orange colours to their logos.

One of my MMORPG avatars has the name Pumpkin (yes, she's female) - as you know they're usually orange in colour.

This is how she looks like after midnight



Wilfred of Orange

Personally I don't really believe there is anything to it except that I thought orange colours, especially when combined with white stands out. Orange is a vibrant colour, white is a pure and bright - both of which combine to make a warm yet exciting colour.

Here's what the Internet says about the colour orange:
ORANGE

Positive: Physical comfort, food, warmth, security, sensuality, passion, abundance, fun.
Negative: Deprivation, frustration, frivolity, immaturity.

Since it is a combination of red and yellow, orange is stimulating and reaction to it is a combination of the physical and the emotional. It focuses our minds on issues of physical comfort - food, warmth, shelter etc. - and sensuality. It is a 'fun' colour. Negatively, it might focus on the exact opposite - deprivation. This is particularly likely when warm orange is used with black. Equally, too much orange suggests frivolity and a lack of serious intellectual values.

Autumn

Of the four seasons I like autumn the best, followed by spring, winter and summer. One of the most popular images of this transitional period between the end of summer and the start of winter are that of foliage in shades of orange in the contrast of greys and faded greens, the atmosphere is quiet and the air growing chilly. Still not freezing but cold - or just right.

(I'm certain some of my friends would go 'Huh!' at that last sentence, especially those living or used to live in temperate countries.)

My name reflects the kind of things that I cherish in life - wish for peace and tranquility so it's no surprise that I can be slow at things that does not warrant rushes or prefer to allow others to win on things of little significance as well as not liking to be forced or goaded into actions, be it for my own good or bad.


Colour for all times

I suppose it's no harm considering that orange does look very nice in certain things - I'll probably grab more polos of such types but not sure about declaring it my new favourite though. Perhaps only if it is with white that I would consider it lovely or classy when combined with grey.

Still, an innocent question about me and the shade halfway between red and yellow had me thinking about what my mind or heart had been telling me all this while. Then again, perhaps I was probably overcomplicating things.

As always.

No comments: