16 October 2011

Festivities and headaches

My friend Ricky finally said goodbye to his bachelorhood yesterday with the wedding reception held at the ORNA Golf & Country Club. From what I heard he secured his bride Vickee after his 'brothers' swallowed a wasabi drink mixture earlier at her place in Seremban together with the rest of the stuff that the sisters had planned for as ransom. A bit of traditional fun there, and was glad not to be asked to be one of them. Not that I would say no if ever asked to, if it is a ransom to pay for his happiness, so be it.

Even the rat disapproves.
And I have absolutely no idea what 'ORNA' meant either.

We arrived earlier at about 5:00 pm and decided to mosey around MYDin instead for the next hour or so, having a drink of longan and watching some performance for Deepavali of sorts at the main entrance. There was a display of coloured rice arrangements upstairs, the names of which I could not for my life remember except that it was called 'kollum' by my Indian friends. Is it also called a mandala?

Sneaking an electric fan into this place might prove exciting.

Met up with some old friends from the previous office and boy have things changed in the short year or so. Andrew's wife is on to her second child after the first with others getting asked the question of when would be their own turn. Suffice to say that only one dude had 'definitive' answer to that question whilst the rest are either shrugging their shoulders or shaking their heads.

It was CNY four months too early for some of us.

The food spread was standard of most Chinese banquet dinners, beginning with the usual four seasons cold plate, the sharksfin soup, roasted chicken, steamed fish, brocolli & mushroom and glutinous lotus leaf rice, finished with a nice sago dessert at the end. Unusual for a Malaysian Chinese dinner though, everything was timed to perfection that it ended almost exactly at 10 pm with the tables empty within the next twenty minutes.

"I want the sweet sour fish in and out in 1057.38s - MOVE IT!"
Ricky was as high as heck - his face was flushed red by the time he came over to our table for the post dinner toast - something I have almost never seen before in the two years or so being my boss.

I did my part to fulfill what was one of his wishes, just for him this time - finishing a full glass of beer - something that I am very unlikely to do again (unless the motivations are good). Did it gladly just for him on the biggest night of his life so far.

That was just for you, Ricky.
 The thing is that whilst it didn't quite hit me whilst I sipped the bitter brew bit by bit throughout dinner is that it tasted like water and had no effect whatsoever, until an hour later when the head starts to feel funny and the reaction slowed down. Something like a negative feedback thing, the more you drink, the more your senses are numbed, the 'better' you get at it when you're actually already affected.

I'm getting a headache looking at this picture without alcohol.
During our trip back down to KL I developed quite a bit of headache that become stronger by the time I reached home, showered and collapsed in bed. Woke up at 7:40 am with the head still throbbing, slept through the next FIVE hours before it subsided.

Either way, regardless of what is being said about my limit et al especially on being hungover by just 325ml of 5% alcohol - no more of that stuff except for the most special of circumstances.

Me this morning, except less furry and not as adorable.

No comments: