16 October 2011

Calling home

Had been meaning to call home since yesterday and only did so today after dinner when I knew everybody would be watching television and had all the time in the world to talk to me. Not spoken to Mom for quite some time now - I'm quite the bad boy when it comes to calling home - the last time I called home was probably four months ago.

Edit: Unless their visit here two months ago was a figment of my imagination, then it's no more than that.


"OMG, wer r d buttonz? Wer 2 swipe?
Wer iz d add book?!"

Most of the news she got about me came through chats with my brother but he was right when he said it would good to just call home and talk just about nothing at all. The forty or so minutes chatting with her just about anything was pretty refreshing like a sip of cool water during a warm day.

Or a dip in a basin of warm water on a cold day.

Looking back our relationship began close as a little child and his mother to the more distant once entering my teen years, graduating to just the person I call 'Ma', the one cooking the meals, the one washing the clothes, the one sweeping the floor - all the things us siblings won't be doing unless forced to. Even so, I'd probably do it half-hearted and resent being asked ordered.

"How many time do I have to tell you to bury your poop!".
Perhaps the period away from home that made me appreciate how important it is to maintain that relationship with home - not to mention her awesome to goodness home cooking (explains why I am such a fatty). It reminds you of the canopy of a great tree that you can always return to when it rains. These are some of the most important things we take for granted sometimes, which unfortunately for some of my friends, are not realised until its gone.

Can't quite remember if we'd ever had any more honest conversation this evening, ranging from work to me speaking of the future, our next trip to the east coast together as well as some personal things which I had never shared with her before. It never ceases to amaze me how much a person can still change after all these years. If I were to record this and send it back to the young me back in time, he'd be perplexed.


For a family who don't openly express ourselves to one another, I'm potentially the least expressive. In fact I've actually given flowers to a girl before I did my own mother - even that was shared with my brother!

One thing I can be certain is that I believe she understood the actual reason why I called home earlier even if I did not describe them fully. Wise not to feed me with deceptively misleading fantasies, all she did was tell me about the realities of life and that she will support whatever I plan to do as long as it does not lead to suffering of others.

"All your father and I want is for you kids to be happy".

In the mean time I better save up for our trip to Taiwan for 2013's Chinese New Year.

Compulsory cute piggy back pic.

No comments: