1 November 2009

Stepping through the door

I will be the first to admit that I suck at giving advice in regards to making choices. Unless the options are far different from another in terms of pros and cons, I'm clueless on what to recommend. This only apply to things that are important though, especially decisions that can have life-changing consequences. Dilemma over what colour of a car to get or wearing what to the party next week will get quick, straight answers from me simply because they are that - subjective and not the very least, important.

A friend recently looked to change her job because of career reasons; she was simply not doing what she should be doing at this stage of life in relation to her profession, creating what she described as an atmosphere of dissatisfaction and in some aspects, job insecurity. When offered jobs at two different places, she asked me what I thought about them in comparison to the current work.

To be honest I must be as frustrating as hell to not be able to give clear answers for the reason that I believe this is one decision that she had to do herself. Personally I felt the urge to just get her to accept the new job and forget the past but common sense cautioned me on doing so for the reason that I would be stepping away from one thing that I have always told others not to do - predicting the future.

What if the new job turned out worst than what it is right now?
What if the current job took a turn for the better and went on from strength to strength?

There's always the calm before a storm.
Or the golden sky at the end of the storm.
Or a storm in a teacup.

Whilst I know I cannot be responsible for a decision taken by others, I know it can just as much be my fault for pushing the issue.

I was gloomed for a moment of time for the reason that being in knowledge of friends in such predicaments can sometimes be related to some that I myself have been through. I know how uncomfortable the feeling of being unsure about something so important can eat into one's mood. Whilst we should all be professional when it comes to discharging our duties, only those with hearts made of cold, lifeless steel can carry on without being affected in any way.

And not a single one of us were born with cold, lifeless steel hearts.

All the best at your new job, mon amie.

No comments: